Loaded Baked Potato Soup
The potatoes are so silky smooth in this delicious soup. Our whole family likes it.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Discard bacon fat.
- Add butter and melt over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and green onions.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper, to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached. I like a nice and thick like a chowder.
- Serve immediately, garnish with green onion, cheese, bacon and sour cream if desired.
Adapted from damn delicious